[ N.B. The figures in the margin indicate full marks. Answer any five questions form group A and group B each.]
1. How would you detect Cu2+ ion, explain with equation? 2
2. Write the formulae of (i) white vitriol (ii) lead sugar. 2
3. What would you mean by passivation of iron? 2
4. How would you detect Fe 2+ and Fe 3+ ion in solution? 2
5. How would you detect sulphide and sulphate ions in samples? 2
6. What is meant by functional groups? Write down the functional groups of alcohol and esters. 2
7. What happens when fats react with sodium hydroxide? 2
8. Define catalyst and catalysis. 2
9. What do you mean by molar Mass and molecular mass? 2
10. What is the mass of a molecule of nitrogen?
11. a) How can a reversible reaction be made to go in one direction? 2
b) Explain the mechanism of electrolysis? 3
c) What do you mean by reactivity series? Write the order of reactivity of the elements. 1
12. a) Define heat of neutralization? Why is the heat of neutralization of strong acids by 3
strong bases constant?
b) Explain how is steel manufactured from cast iron. 3
13. a) Explain how green vitriol is prepared? What is the use of it? 2+1
b) Potash alum is a double salt. Justify your answer. 3
14. a) CO2 is a gas whereas Si O2 is a high melting point solid, explain why this happen? 2
b) Describe the extraction process of Aluminum. 3
c) What do you mean by equilibrium constant? 1
15. Write what happen when______. 1x4=6
i) Ethanol reacts with ethanoic acid.
ii) Propene reacts with Br2.
iii) Ammonium carbonate is heated.
iv) Hexanoic acid is burnt is air or O2.
16. a) What is a covalent bond? Explain with example how covalent bond is formed. 3
b) Find the position of the element in the periodic table, which has atomic number 16. If
this element gain two electrons, then mention the total electron number. 2
c) What is Avogadro number? 1
17. a) A compound has C= 85.71%, and H= 14.29%. Its vapour density is 28. Find the molecular
formula of the compound. 3
b) Explain bohr's Atom model. 2
c) What is difference between H2 O and CO2 molecule? 1
18. a) Explain with examples of polymerisation and Isomerisation reactions. 3
b) State the faraday's Laws of electrolysis. 2
c) What is electroplating? 1
19. a) State the law of Multiple proportions. 2
b) Carbon disulphide contains 15.79% sulphur and cardon-di- oxide contains 27.27%
carbon. Show that the above data supports the law of Reciprocal proportions. 3
c) Write down the qualitative significance of H2 SO4. 1
20. a) Write four differences of metals and non-metals. 2
b) What do you mean by on isotope? Explain with examples. 2
c) What is sublimation. Give an example. 2